Publicly available IRS 990-T’s and other publicly available documents have given us the names of twenty-four trusted Church of Scientology functionaries. Please feel free to post additional names to help build an open source database of “Inner Circle Scientology.” My e-mail is email@example.com.
In this blog entry we present David Miscavige’s inner circle, rubber stamps, & missing wife
1. Monique Yingling of Zuckert, Scoutt & Rasenberger LLP, Washington D.C. — David Miscavige’s personal attorney. If Scientology is a small business operated as a wannabe Mafia, then Miscavige is the boss and Yingling his consigliere. Yingling’s late husband was Gerald Feffer of Williams & Connolly in D.C. Feffer and Yingling were among the key architects of Scientology’s 1993 tax exemption.
One indicator serious Scientology watchers use to assess the state of affairs in David Miscavige’s head is the presence of Monique Yingling.
Whenever Yingling appears at the scene of a Scientology story you can bet that Miscavige is highly “enturbulated” as Scientologists say. Yingling recently sent a letter to HBO objecting to Alex Gibney’s characterization of how Scientology gained its 1993 tax exemption. We weighed in on Yingling’s letter.
Yingling appeared along with Scientology executives in Anderson Cooper’s CNN series on the culture of violence in Scientology. Yingling and the others denied that David Miscavige beat Church executives. Yingling did, however, acknowledge that beatings occured and were handled internally. In other words, Yingling admits that numerous beating victims were not allowed to have the perpetrators arrested by the police:
2. William Esensten – Scientology Inc. CPA with the Beverly Hills firm of NSBN. Signs all of Scientology’s 990-T forms.
Left: William Esensten, CPA
3. Laurisse “Lou” Henley-Smith aka Laurisse Stuckenbrock – David Miscavige’s personal assistant and alleged mistress. According to Mike Rinder, Miscavige dictates while Stuckenbrock types on her blackberry. She does this in order to serve as Miscavige’s “cut out” so that he does not appear to be controlling the Church of Scientology International. This is important because Miscavige and Yingling told the IRS in Scientology’s 1993 application for tax exemption that Miscavige works for the Religious Technology Center and has nothing to do with running the Church. This is of course an outright lie. The Church of Scientology is David Miscavige’s alter ego. Scientology doesn’t sue anyone these days as Miscavige could be deposed and corporate veils could be pierced. In the 2008 photo below, Henley-Smith is seen (front right) standing next to David Miscavige. Behind Laurisse are Tom Cruise, and Katie Homes at a motorsport event:
4. Linda Hamel – CO OSA Int, Scientology Spy Boss, Office of Special Affairs (OSA). Former Guardian’s Office “Ops Chief” for Snow White.
Note: No known photo of Linda Hamel exists. Scientology keeps its top spy boss in hiding. L. Ron Hubbard stayed in hiding from 1966 until his death in 1986. Now it seems Miscavige is also finding it necessary to keep a low profile along with Linda Hamel.
5. Jenny Linson, Dave Bloomberg, and Marc Yager — long-time Scientologists and top Scientology executives. In October 2014, this troika attempted to ambush Marty Rathbun at LAX. They came off looking like lunatic cultists in the attempt:
5. Warren McShane — President Religious Technology Center. Seen below seated on the left next to Scientology’s attorney Bert Deixler:
Marty Rathbun on David Miscavige and Warren McShane:
“He (Miscavige) appointed to President of RTC (Religious Technology Center) Warren McShane, intelligence trained Guardians Office case officer. He told Warren to his face in my presence on more than one occasion that the only reason he continued to retain Warren was his lying ability; he needed an accomplished liar to front for him when it came to depositions seeking to break the wall of secrecy surrounding Miscavige’s hands on involvement with unlawful operations.”
Miscavige Rubber Stamps: These Sea Org members sign whatever they are told to sign.
6. Alan Cartwright – Legal Officer CSI – has been deposed in Rathbun v. Miscavige, Former GO.
7. Mike Ellis – International Justice Chief. Weighs in at a hefty 315 pounds and has a heart problem. Why doesn’t the Church take better care of this man?
8. Ellen Reynolds — Secretary CSI, signs 990-T’s. Has been on staff for decades.
9. Lynn Farny — CSI books are in his possession as of 2012, former GO
10. Carl Heldt – His name is associated with the Scientology Int’l Reserves Trust (SIRT) in 2011.
11. Austin Nickels – COS WUS books are in his possession as of 2012
12. Glen Stilo — FSO books are in his possession as of 2012
13. Diane Gillott – CCI books are in her possession as of 2011
14. Ludwig Alpers – FSSO books are in his possession as of 2012
15. Arthur Bolstad – CST books are in his possession as of 2011
16. Ryland Perkins – Secretary of ASI, the for-profit arm of CST.
17. Shelly Miscavige –wife of David Miscavige — has fallen from favor with her husband. She has not been seen in public for about eight years and is presumably locked up at Scientology’s secret Twin Peaks base after crossing her husband on Church matters.
Left: Shelly Miscavige, the disappeared wife of Scientology leader David Miscavige.
L. Ron Hubbard also made his wife Mary Sue persona non grata after she was sent to prison for her role in Operation Snow White.
Actress Leah Remini famously filed a missing persons report on Shelly with LAPD and this became big news story.
18. Seating is everything in the Church of Scientology — always look in the front row at Scientology events and you will see everyone who is anyone. Seating matters to David Miscavige and this is why he made Sea Org members play a sick game of musical chairs.
Below: When Miscavige opened the new $145,000,000 Flag Building in Clearwater, Florida in 2013, he put his leading players in the front row. L-R: Laurisse Henley-Smith, Monique Yingling, Kelly Preston, John Travolta, Tom Cruise.
Categories: The Scientology Money Project
Great article, Jeff. Thanks.
Just one correction: The infamous “game of musical chairs” has nothing to do with the importance of “seating” as you put it.
Musical chairs is a phrase mentioned in a Policy Letter by Hubbard wherein he forbids the practice of rapidly changing, moving, shifting or replacing staff from one position to another within an organisation. He outlawed this practice as it destabilises the organisation. Almost any CEO or Manager would concur that rapid shifting of staff from one position to another is not a good a thing for any company.
By way of an analogy, Hubbard likened this to the popular children’s party game of “musical chairs”.
David Miscavige put his own evil twist/spin on the whole thing by making the “hole inmates” play that sick game.
What he did was totally “squirrel” in Scio terms (altering the technology and twisting it in order to cause harm to people). By doing this, Miscavige was guilty of committing a Suppressive Act as delineated in the Scientology Ethics & Justice codes.
I don’t see this irrelevance you’re talking about with the side comment, the musical chair game was all about seating, if they wanted a seat, or a position in management with miscavige they had to win the game and if they fail you get sent away, that was totally using seats to control
and you can bet if someone is on his bad side he doesn’t allow them to stand in the front row at events, they’re probably cleaning a toilet seat
I definitely think he controls seating as a punishment/reward system to control people
but it’s one of many ways, he’ll pull them off post and throw them in the rpf, pull everyone’s certs and make them start over in iterations of golden ages, pull their meters requiring new ones, pull their resources, he’s basically punishing all scientologists by making them broke and making them start over and over
guy’s acting like a paranoid psycho, has auditing helped him?
Good comment – thank you.
Thank you for this article. I look forward to additions. Barbara Griffith was last I knew the Treas Sec RTC. I once got gold pens, flowers and a card from her in RTC to me as Treas Sec for getting the org solvent late ’89? She must know where ‘DMs’ $ comes from and goes.
Yingling has the cold, dead eyes of a carp…
Carp are the fish that Sharks use as puppets, right? Placing their fin where jaw muscles, common decency and sense and a beating, feeling heart should be, right? I’m not great with fish…)